Dear Parents and Carers
Wasn’t the performance of B6 at this fortnight’s assembly, delightful, and the perfect solution for a chilly day! Under the direction of Ms Hulatt, our talented Year 2 / 3 students, dressed in bright costumes, sang ‘Keep on the Sunny Side’. Aligned with our school value of being resilient, the class has focused on keeping going when things get tough. Miss Hulatt, Miss Quinlan, and all of the students are very grateful for the support from parents & carers with practising and sourcing cos- tumes.
Thank you to all parents and carers that joined us for our very special assembly and congratulations to all this fortnights Merit Certificate recipients and Star awardees.
There are lots of fabulous experiences planned in coming weeks including: ‘100 Days of School’ and Cross Country tomorrow; Science Week (Wk. 5); ‘One Big Voice’; South Lake Primary School Athletics Carnival, Book Week (Wk. 6) and visiting author, as well as Curtin Artist in Residence Program. Keep an eye on our Term 3 Planner, and SLPS Skoolbag app, that way children don’t miss out. I hope you can join us for these special events.
USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA AT SCHOOL EVENTS
Social media, including: Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, and YouTube, are popular ways of sharing and communicating images and information quickly, and efficiently to a wide audience.
A word of CAUTION, prior to publishing material you must consider privacy and ensure that you have approval to publish images of other staff or students. In this day and age, with protective court orders etc. in place, publishing images on social media MAY THREATEN THE SAFETY OF STUDENTS OR STAFF.
We ask that YOU TAKE AND SHARE IMAGES OF YOUR CHILD ONLY when at sporting events, on special days, or at assemblies. Help us keep all SLPS students and staff safe!
DENTAL HEALTH – KEEP YOUR CHILD’S TEETH HEALTHY
Teeth are important possessions. Here are some tips for keeping them healthy.
- Clean teeth, gums and tongue at least twice a day with asoft toothbrush. Parents should supervise tooth brushing until children are 8 or 9 years old as children do not have the dexterity to brush the molars properly until then.
- Adults and children should use a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste. Toothpaste should be spat out after brushing and never eaten or swallowed. Do not rinse your mouth out with water after brushing your teeth.
- Rinse your toothbrush thoroughly after brushing and store it hygienically. Replace your toothbrush regularly.
- Older children and adults should floss their teeth daily.
- Eating and drinking healthily is important for keeping your teeth healthy – try to keep away from too much sugar,especially between meals.
Contact your closest School Dental Therapy Centre, Dental Health Services on 9313 0555 or the School Nurse on 9314 0100 for further information. For more dental health information, go to http://raisingchildren.net.au or http://www.dental.wa.gov.au/ If you require Interpreter Services, please refer to the Dental Health Services Interpreter Service information.
LAKELAND SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL NOVA NEWS
To kick off a new semester, in week one, LSHS NOVA academic extension students in Years 7 – 9 celebrated a great first semester of work. Students received an address from the principal, some advice from three Year 12 students, presentation to top student and DUX awards, and finished off with a reward pizza lunch. Lakeland Senior High School’s academic extension program is competitive and it is expected that students work hard in all their classes. Contact Robyn Matthews the NOVA Coordinator at Lakeland SHS on 6172 2200, if you have questions about the NOVA program for Year 7 students in 2022.
ENROL FOR 2022
We are now taking applications for enrolment in 2022. You need to enrol for:
- Starting Kindergarten – 4 years old by 30 June 2022.
- Starting Pre-primary, the first year of compulsory school – 5 years old by 30 June 2022.
- All children from Kindy, Pre-primary to Year 12 are guaranteed a place at their local public school.
Remember to bring Birth Certificates, proof of address and an immunisation statement. If you have friends, neighbours or relatives that have children that are eligible we would encourage you to come to school to find out about programs and have a tour of our school.
VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTIONS INCENTIVE
Our Voluntary Contributions of $60 are starting to add to the school’s resources so THANK YOU to all families who are supporting the school. Be in our next draw for a $50 voucher in Week 5.
I look forward to catching up with you at one of our events or at our next assembly on August 19 presented by A1. Have a wonderful fortnight!
Kind regards Leigh Liley